EURO-TOQUES IRELAND members are custodians of Irish culinary heritage and the food culture of Ireland today and tomorrow. Our members – professional chefs and cooks – work to a high set of principles and are asked in good faith to follow the Euro-Toques Code of Honour. This means striving for excellent culinary standards as a chef and always working with quality local produce, in season as far as possible. In short, Euro- Toques members must operate with integrity in everything from sourcing to serving.
EURO-TOQUES INTERNATIONAL is a European community of cooks and chefs, representing over 3,500 professionals, with national branches in 16 European countries. The organisation was established in 1986 by Belgian chef Pierre Romeyer, Myrtle Allen from Ireland, Gualtiero Marchesi from Italy, Juan-Mari Arzak from Spain, Paul Bocuse from France, and Cas Spijker from the Netherlands.
Each founding chef established a Euro-Toques branch in their own country, selecting exceptional chefs to support them in their task of preserving and promoting traditional culinary methods, excellent regional food producers, and standards of culinary excellence. Today we continue to promote a culture of sustainable, high value culinary practice throughout our industry, with a strong focus on skill, quality, and creativity.
- Euro-toques Ireland achieves its goals through partnerships with like-minded organisations who share our values and objectives
- We support our members in their efforts to create and sustain a valuable food culture by promoting their unique culinary styles and innovation, and the quality of their offering
- We support young entrants and potential new entrants to our industry by working with education institutions, cookery schools and individuals out there making a difference
- We support quality Irish food producers by promoting them on our menus, at our events and through our annual Food Awards
- We do all this with a strong annual catalogue of practical, educational, and inspirational events, activities and communications, including our Young Chef of the Year competition and our annual Chef Development Programme
WHO WE ARE
Euro-toques Ireland has a full-time Executive responsible for member services, policy development, lobbying and event management. The activities of the organisation are overseen by a Board of Commissioners, made up of chefs from around the country, headed up by the Commissioner General. Food Policy, lobbying and activities relating to food producers and restaurants are guided by the Food Council, with representatives from each region. The administration and activities of the organisation are coordinated by the Secretary General. In addition, individual members volunteer their time and energy to organise events for fellow members and to participate in lobbying activities.
Our founding member, Myrtle Allen, was also a founding member of Euro-toques International, in 1986. Myrtle is chef/proprietor of the famed Ballymaloe House, her home which she opened as a restaurant in 1964. She also founded Ballymaloe Cookery School with her daughter-in-law Darina Allen. Myrtle has garnered many accolades, both for her wonderful food and hospitality at Ballymaloe House and for her work in promoting Irish food, including running an Irish restaurant ‘La Ferme Irlandaise’ in Paris for five years. In 2000 she was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Law from UCC. She remains an active and strong presence within the organisation, and continues her role as both a Commissioner and a Food Committee member.